The area known as West Los Angeles is situated between Culver City, Brentwood, Santa Monica, and Westwood. Although many use the term "West L.A." to describe the Westside, it is actually an area that is bordered by Santa Monica city limits to the west, National Boulevard to the south, Century City to the east, and Wilshire Boulevard to the north.
West L.A.'s greatest feature is simply its location. Because of where it is situated, the beach, Hollywood, and downtown L.A. are all easily accessible; mostly due to its easy access to the 405 and 10 freeways.
The area of Santa Monica Boulevard that lies between Bundy and the 405 freeway is home to many dining options and the Nuart Theatre (where alternative films are shown). Also within the area are desirable neighborhoods such as Westdale, Trousdale, Cheviot Hills, and Rancho Park.
The quality of schools ranges quite a bit in West L.A. Scores from the Academic Performance Index reflects such differences. Out of a possible 1,000 the following schools scored:
|Overland Avenue School||945|
|Westwood Elementary School||928|
|Brockton Avenue Elementary School||739|
|Richland Avenue Elementary||797|
|Nora Sterry Elementary||817|
|Webster Middle School||658|
|Emerson Middle School||714|
|University High School||678|
Resources & Links:
- Local School Links
- Crime Statistics
- Southern California Home Sale Activity | Los Angeles home sales data, organized by ZIP code. Updated monthly.
- LA County Online
- The Los Angeles Times | Online version of the local periodical.
- KCRW | National Public Radio station, based at Santa Monica College.
- ArtScene | Guide to California's museums.
- National Park Search | Great National Parks link.
- California State Parks | Highly recommended.
- Yahoo! Neighborhood Profiles | For neighborhood demographics, cost of living and quality of life.