Laurel Canyon is different in that it is a wooded community without manicured lawns or any particular vision. The homes are modest in size, streets are narrow, and the neighborhoods are filled with large trees. The area is bounded by Mulholland Drive on the north, Laurel Canyon Blvd. on the east, and the mountain range on the south and west. Laurel Canyon Blvd, Lookout Mountain Ave, Kirkwood, Mulholland Drive, Wonderland Ave, and Sunset Plaza Drive are Laurel Canyon's main roads.
Laurel Canyon is located on the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy Area which is one of the largest parks in the county. From any house in the area one can access any of the 6 parks in five minutes: Coldwater Canyon Park, Franklin Canyon Park, Laurel Canyon Park, Fryman Canyon, Runyon Canyon Park, Wilacre Park, and there is also the new Laurel Canyon Dog Park. For those who love the outdoors, hiking and jogging opportunities are plentiful.
The Canyon is situated on top of a giant fold in the earth which was created when the Pacific and North American plates sheared. This east-west fold is what we call the Santa Monica Mountain Range. An understandable concern for residents is land stability. Surprisingly, the Canyon is safer than the flats when it comes to earthquakes, the major concerns for residents should be landslides and topsoil erosion. In the summer, the average high temperature is 84 and the average low is 64.
The pride of the community is The Wonderland School which enrolls gifted and high ability children from all over the Los Angeles Unified School District. Approximately 500 students attend grades K-5th. It is located at the corner of Lookout Mountain and Wonderland Avenues.
- Laurel Canyon Association
- PO Box 69A20Los Angeles, CA 90069-0A20
- Web site
Resources & Links:
- Local School Links
- Crime Statistics
- Southern California Home Sale Activity | Los Angeles home sales data, organized by ZIP code. Updated monthly.
- LA County Online
- The Los Angeles Times | Online version of the local periodical.
- KCRW | National Public Radio station, based at Santa Monica College.
- ArtScene | Guide to California's museums.
- National Park Search | Great National Parks link.
- California State Parks | Highly recommended.
- Yahoo! Neighborhood Profiles | For neighborhood demographics, cost of living and quality of life.